Kodama!

The Kodama is finished! It was a pretty simple project, but it’s packed full of personality. Let’s review how it came together…

Kudama prepping nut 1 Kudama prepping nut 3 Kudama - stone to go in body Kudama - arms and legs started Kudama hands and knees IMG_3828 IMG_3827

This is what I was aiming for:

Still from “Princess Mononoke“, pulled from Oishii Anime.

How close did I get?

I took most of the finished photos in its “natural habitat.”

IMG_3847 IMG_3898 IMG_3887 IMG_3866 IMG_3903 IMG_3863 IMG_3884 IMG_3916

It rattles too!

 

Advertisements

WIP-Cracking Wednesday: I’m Back!

Hopefully anyway…

I didn’t post last week. Blame Comcast. Somehow they made the internet stop working with their “service upgrade.” Last week was mostly spent trying to get my internet back. That attempt was marginally successful. It’s back, but it seems to be unstable. I basically am just going to have to cross my fingers and hope that all this typing I’m doing doesn’t magically disappear the second I hit “save” because that is the exact moment my wireless connection decides it has better things to do.

Let’s check in with the felting! I’ve fallen a bit behind on the photo editing queue, so what I’m about to show you isn’t 100% up to date, but I’ll catch up.

After bending the knees, I attached the legs to the Kodama.

IMG_3828

Then I gave it a butt!

IMG_3827

After that, I gave the head a face and attached the arms. I seem to have forgotten to take a picture of that step though…sorry. Then all I had to do was make a short neck and attach the head at a quizzical angle and it was done! Finished photos will have to come later though, they’re still being edited.

All together, the Kodama only took about 7 hours to make!

 

WIP-Cracking Wednesday: Felting Progress

Let’s check in with the needle felting projects…

Ducky - upper body started on styrofoam ball

Ducky‘s body shape is nearly complete! I started covering a styrofoam ball with black felt to use for the upper body, but once I added it to the lower body I realized I had way overshot the scale and it was too big for the legs. I tore the upper body off and will be refining the front end of the oval shape of the lower body until it looks more like the upper body.

I have no idea if that paragraph made any sense.

Moving on.

The Kodama is coming along nicely! As promised, here are some process pictures…

Kudama prepping nut 3

I started off with a noisy nutshell.

Kudama - nut in head

Then I encased it in wool.

Kudama - stone

Then I had an epiphany! If I could just find something heavier than the head, I should be able to weigh down the body enough so that the head could rattle instead of the body! I found a stone that weighs several grams more than the head.

Kudama - arms and legs started

I encased the stone in wool and started forming the arms and legs.

Kudama hands and knees

Then I bent the legs to form knees and I added hands to the arms.

Oh, and last week I finished a set of Poke-dryer-balls for my sister’s friend.

Pokeball set

That’s all the felting I’ve got for now, stay tuned for more!

WIP-Cracking Wednesday: Felt ALL THE THINGS!

I’m now juggling three needle felting projects!

Ducky shaping leg attachment

 

Ducky now has her legs attached! More shaping is needed for it to look right, but she’s starting to come together!

Pokeball 1

 

I have finished the first Pokeball for my sister’s friend and it didn’t explode in the dryer!

Ultraball - start

I’ve started on a Ultraball for the next one. These are super quick to make too, which is nice!

I also started some prep-work for a Kodama from Princess Mononoke. One of the features of these creatures is their rattling heads, so I thought I would try to reproduce that aspect. My sister had the idea of using a nutshell to get that distinctive wooden sound of the rattling. She cut a hazelnut in half and we spent a while trying to figure out what we could put inside to shell to reproduce the right sound. We settled on a lead fishing weight and a bead.

Kudama prepping nut 1

 

I glued the shell shut with some Krazy glue, but there was a bit of a gap on one side where the shell chipped when it was being cut open.

Kudama prepping nut 2

 

I was a little afraid that wool would end up creeping in through the crack during the felting process and dampening the sound, so I used some hot glue to bridge the gap.

Kudama prepping nut 3

 

Now it’s ready to encase in felt! Sadly I don’t think I’ll be able to put the nut in the head because that would make it really top-heavy. It’ll have to go in the body instead.