WIP Wednesday: Pirra Necklace

My mom was pre-packing for a trip and discovered a gap in her jewelry collection. She wanted something longish that would coordinate with the outfits she picked out for the trip. I presented several knitted necklace options and she picked out the Pirra Necklace by Ambah O’Brien. But she wanted it beaded too, so I am following some modified instructions from Galatea by Sivia Harding (caution: the link to the pattern on her site goes to Ravelry). Instead of beading every round which would be way too many beads for what mom wants, I’m beading every third row. 

Then I got out all my solid and semi-solid scraps to show her and she picked out a tan and a blue. Then I got out beads and she picked out a combo of clear sparkly beads and a sprinkling of orange frosted beads.

So I got to work. First I swatched (yes, I swatched an icord) to make sure the difference in texture between the two yarns wasn’t too jarring and to get the bead placement right. See, one of the yarns is a single ply camel/silk, and the other is a 3-ply wool/tencel. The single ply was a bit tricky to pull through the beads as it wasn’t a particularly tight twist, but I persevered.

Here’s the progression over the last few days.

Image description: A two inch length of tan i-cord with clear sparkly and orange beads, still on the circular needle.
Image description: A 17 inch coiled tan i-cord with clear sparkly and orange beads, still on a circular needle
Image description: A 26 inch length of coiled tan i-cord and a 7 inch length of i-cord, half tan half blue, both with clear sparkly and orange beads. The blue section is still on circular needles. There are lots of ends to weave in.

The bead placement took some doing to figure out. I wanted them to spiral around the i-cord but only every 3rd row, and every 3rd bead would be orange. So I wrote out the instructions for the whole length of the necklace. It was too much to keep track of without writing it down.

I’m also modifying the pattern to be 1 inch longer all around.

Image description: A journal page with pattern notes and line by line instructions for bead placement.
Image description: A journal page with pattern notes and line by line instructions for bead placement.

I started with 2 plain rounds. I realized later that the first bead round should have been round 0, not 1, but whatever. I fixed it on the next section of i-cord. Now I just need to figure out how to weave in ends on i-cord. I think I just need to secure the first stitch and then thread it through the middle. I’ll play with it.

By yarnologist

I'm a former wannabe scientist turned fiber arts fanatic. Follow me as I attempt to turn my amateur hobby into a professional career!

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s