I started knitting a third project for the indigodragonfly Giftapalooza KAL – Kalix. I was a good girl and made a gauge swatch first. I even washed it in order to get an accurate measurement. Once I got the recommended gauge, I proceeded to knit the first fingerless glove. I intended to knit these fingerless gloves for myself, so when I finished I tried it on.
The swatch lied.
I barely was able to squeeze my hand in past the wrist. Incredulous, I re-measured the gauge swatch. It was exactly what the pattern called for. I checked the sizing in the pattern to make sure I hadn’t made the wrong size. The instructions I followed should have fit my hand. Then I measured the gauge on the actual glove. It was way tighter than the swatch. Once it came to actually knitting the thing I must have tensed up or something.
Luckily, there are hands in a variety of sizes in my household. I had my sister try on the glove. She also had trouble getting her hand in past the wrist. Then the tip of her thumb started turning purple. As tight as my gauge was in the wrist, it got even tighter at the thumb!
Next I handed the glove over to my mother, who has the hands of a small child. If the glove didn’t fit her then I’d just have to frog it and start over. She got it on with relative ease and she said the wrist fit perfectly! The thumb was still a little tight, but at least it wasn’t cutting off her circulation.
I frogged the thumb, re-knit it after a margarita, and now it fits her great. Still a little sad that the gloves aren’t mine – the yarn is sooo soft! Now to repeat the process for the second glove…