It’s a Christmas miracle! I’m back to blogging AND I’ve been working on finishing things! For the past few days I’ve been blocking up a storm. I started with the Black Friday socks since those were on a deadline.
I ran into a slight snag with the boyfriend’s socks when I discovered that a good length for the leg on me is more like an ankle sock for him. Luckily I was knitting his socks toe-up though, so I was able to just rip out the cuff, add another 6 stripes, and re-knit the cuff. I still want to take better photos of the finished socks – the colors in these photos aren’t doing Amy’s yarn justice.
I also finally blocked the fingerless mitts I made for my mother and sister. I finished knitting them both months ago. I still haven’t taken finished photos of them so they are still WIPs, but here are some hints at what those look like:
I didn’t stop there! I cleaned out the playhouse (again) and set up the blocking mats so I could block a shawl or two. First up was Flavia from last December’s indigodragonfly Smart-Ass Knitters World Domination club package. Here’s what it looked like pre-blocking:
And here it is all pinned out:
There was still a bit of room on the blocking mats, so I gave Finnegan’s Cat Hoodie a quick soak and laid it out to dry too. Here’s a peek at what that will look like:
My dad came over to set up the extension cord to the playhouse and put in a light and a fan. On the afternoon of Christmas Eve I laid out both projects to dry, switched on the fan and waited. And waited. And waited.
Flavia finally was dry enough to unpin this evening, but Finnegan’s sweater is still pretty damp despite being directly in front of the fan. What gives? I know it’s cold and wet out, but I remember having trouble getting things to dry in the playhouse this summer when it was dry and hot out too. That’s why I added the fan this time. STILL things are not drying in a timely fashion. When I’ve blocked similar projects in my bedroom (after temporarily rearranging furniture to find enough floor space) they typically only take a day or so to finish drying.
I’m not quite sure what to do about this. Since I’ve rearranged my room there isn’t enough floor space in my there to do much blocking. The rest of the house is overrun by super-playful and curious Ragdolls who would tear up the blocking mats (and whatever was pinned to it) in 10 seconds flat. I’m not sure what else I can do to solve the airflow problem in the playhouse to make it a suitable blocking location. I really don’t want to put a space heater in there to leave unattended and start a fire. I have many more shawls and such that need blocking, but I’m putting them on hold until I can come up with a solution…